Divorce Guide :: Divorce FAQ :: My ex won't fill out the Form 8332 - what can I do?
My ex won't fill out the Form 8332 - what can I do? E-mail
Form 8332What am I supposed to do if my ex won't fill out the Form 8332 when the court says it is my year to file? You must give your ex adequate time to fill out the Form 8332 and if they have not filled it out by a date set forth in your divorce decree file papers to have them held in contempt and forced to fill out the form. You will need to have your lawyer file the contempt papers and file them with the courts in order to be able to file the exemption. However, according to the IRS the family courts do not have the right to determine that the non-custodial parent can claim the exemption.

Here are additional resources you might be interested in:

I'm allowed the exemption on alternating years - do I still need a 8332 form?

Which form is required to be attached to the non-custodial parent's tax return?

Who is allowed to take the exemption when taxes are filed?

More information on Divorce Properties and Finances click here.
TotalDivorce.com | Close This Form

Who's Online?

We have 26 guests online

Connect with a Local Divorce Attorney

Find an expert divorce lawyer in your area (U.S. Only). Simply complete the 5 short questions below and we'll match you with a suitable lawyer in your area. No matter where you are in the divorce process, a divorce attorney in your area can provide you with answers to your questions and suggestions on how to deal with the divorce process, laws and requirements.